Edward Tilbury (1842-1915)
1922. 14 Jul, Provident Accident & Guarantee Company Ltd. of Coleman St, London EC2, requested details confirming Edward' of Boulogne's application, ie. he joined the 2/3rd London Brigade, RFA as 2nd Lieutenant rising to the rank of Major on the Staff of GHQ, New Echelon and was demobilised about 20th Nov 1919.
17/5/15 Appointed 2nd Lieutenant
1/6/16 Promoted Lieutenant
1/4/19 Appointed to Dept.A.D. of Graves Registration & Enquiries and to be temporary Major whilst employed
17/10/19 Vacated appointment, Disembodied.
23/11/19 Transferred to Territorial Force Reserve as Major
30/9/21 Relinquished commission and retained the rank of Major.
- Edward and Esther nee Faulkner
Edward Tilbury (1842-1915)
Esther Faulkner (1848-1915)
- Father: ? Faulkner
- Born: 11 Nov 1848, Southhampton, Hartfordshire
- Married: 4 Jun 1868, Edward Tilbury, Highfield Church, Southhampton, Hants.
- Died: 16 Sep 1915
- Birth 1842 Edward Tilbury
Edward's ?father/grandfather had a carriageworks outside London and around 1815 they designed and produced the "Tilbury" carriage, a two-seater sport carriage known as a gig. It was a most fashionable gentlemen's vehicle, characterised by a seven-spring suspension. The "Stanhope" carriage was also manufactured by the carriageworks.
1868. Edward and Esther eloped [why?] and married when Esther was 19. They had 17 children.
1871. Edward (28), Esther (23) and Ettie (4 months) were visiting Thomas and Sophia at the time of the census 2 Apr 1871. The census records show Ettie's name as Eliza.
1901. Census taken at 6 Forest View, All Saints, Southampton, shows Edward (58, Railway Goods Supervisor/Superintendant, born London), wife Esther (51, born Southampton) and children Maud (unmarried, 25, milliner, born Southampton), Florence (unmarried, 25, surgical truss maker, born Southampton), Edward (unmarried, 18, commercial clerk, born Southampton), Ella (16, born Southampton) and Dorothy (8, born Southampton).
A Family Bible in the USA was held by Betty Byecroft nee Tilbury, daughter of James Tilbury (1881-1972) and is now held by E. Mark Tilbury, another descendant. The bible was originally owned by Edward Tilbury (1842-1915) and the dates of births and deaths of the family were recorded in the Bible. The information below was presented during a gathering of Tilburys at the home of Charles and Sally Tilbury, Sebastopol, California on 15 Sep 1994, when Robert and Monique Tilbury were welcomed to California by the family.
Below is the family of Edward and Esther Tilbury copies from the Family Bible, Vol. 1.
EDWARD TILBURY, born May 8, 1842 at 19 Sidmouth St., St. Pancras. London.
ESTHER TILBURY nee Faulkner born Nov 11, 1848.
Above were married June 4, 1868 at Highfield Church, Southampton by Rev. Callander.
CHILDREN OF THE ABOVE:
- A girl born, Nov 9, 1869, died same day and buried Southampton Cemetery/Christened
- Ettie Mary Sophia born Dec 7, 1870 at Middle Portland Terr: Southampton. Holy Trinity Ch. Also recorded as Eliza S.M.
- Phoebe Annie Augusta born May 1872, at 5 Clifton Terr. Southampton. Died 1880
- George Fredrick Edward born June 14, 1873 at 19Weymouth Terrace. Died, Durban. South Africa
- Henry Edward, born Sept 18, 1874. Died Feb 19, 1876. Buried Southampton Cemetery
- Ettie Maud born Feb 17, 1876. died Johannesburg. South Africa 1937
- Madeline, born August 3, 1877 at 25 Weymouth Terrace . Died April 5, 1880. Buried Southampton Cemetery.
- Lucy Stephanie, born Nov 15, 1878 at 35 East Park Terrace. Christened at All Saints Church . Died Southampton about 1904
- Florence Mary, born Feb 13, 1880 at 29 Oxford St .• Christened St. James Church
- James, born Oct 13, 1881 at 10 Forest View. Christened Holyrood Church by Rev Whitlock
- Edward, born Feb 5, 1883 at 10 Forest View. died Prague, Czechoslovakia 1931.
- Eleanor Jane, born Octl8, 1884 at 12 Milton Rd., Southampton, Christened by Rev. Whitlock
- Charles . born April 1, 1886, at 6 Forest View. Christened at St. Julien's by Rev, Whitlock, Died Santa Monica, California, July, 1955, age 69
- Augustus, born May 3, 1887 at 6 Forest View. Killed in action France 1918. World War I.
- Ernest, born Jan 20, 1889 at 6 Forest View. Died Altadena, California 1942.
- Sydney, born June 21, 1890 at 6 Forest View, Christened Holyrood Church. Died June 2, 1900
- Dorothy Grace born March 19, 1893 at 6 Forest View. Christened Holyrood Church by Rev. Whitlock on Apr 23.
[source Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Byecroft. 144 Beacon Lane. Jupiter Inlet Colony; Florida 33458, phone (407) 746 7364.]
- Children of Edward and Esther
Note: For privacy reasons your email address is not published. If you wish to publish it, add it to the text of your comment and it will be given spam-protection masking.