History of Aramac, QLD

Note:The information presented here has been scanned and transcribed from documents gathered from the Aramac Shire Council during a visit to Aramac in the 1990s. The documents are old and apologies are offered to the Aramac Shire Council for any errors not yet detected from digitising the text. At the time of my visit I chatted to a Shire Council member, who stated that there should have been a street named Tilbury in memory of James Thompson Tilbury, a "parent" of the town and the Aramac "father of Storekeepers" and he wondered why there wasn't. It wasn't until after I left Aramac and was able to read these documents in depth that I realised what he meant and wondered the same. Occurrences of J.T. Tilbury's name have been highlighted.

PREPARED BY ARAMAC SHIRE COUNCIL

ARAMAC HISTORICAL DATES

1859   William Landsborough on his exploring trip which took him through the West of Queensland, discovered the Creek on the northern banks of which this Town now stands. He named Aramac Creek after his friend Robert Ramsay MacKenzie, who was known as R.R. Mac. In 1859 Robert Ramsay MacKenzie entered the first Queensland Parliament as Member for Burnett and has the distinction of holding the portfolio of the State's first Treasurer.

1861   First grazing land taken up when Nat Buchanan and William Landsborough secured a lease of 96 sq. miles of country incorporating Bowen Downs and Mount Cornish.

1863   John Rule and Dyson Lacy arrive on Aramac Creek and take up country naming their property Aramac Station. In its heyday Aramac Station shore over 100,000 sheep employing 40 shearers.

1867   Central West Railway line opened from Rockhampton to Westwood - 17th Sept., 1867.
Robert Ramsay MacKenzie becomes Premier of Queensland - 1867/68.

1869   First Hotel License in Aramac granted to Jack Kingston, Aramac Hotel.
The first Police to patrol the district were the black Police under a White Sub­-Inspector. The first Police camp was at Stainburn 12 miles west from Aramac, under Sub-Inspector James McKay Dunne. Two of the first Police Constables stationed here were Peter O'Malley and John Cockle.

1870   First Agricultural Show held in Western Queensland. Venue-Six Mile on Aramac Station.

1871   First white boy born in Aramac  on 31st October. William Broadbent was born to James Broadbent, a labourer, and his wife Eliza, nee Bourne.

1872   First white girl born in the district was Ellen (Nellie) McIntyre on 24th Nov., to Joseph Mcintyre, a labourer, and his wife Margaret, nee Johnston. Legend has it that this child was born while her parents were camped on the banks of Aramac Creek. Nellie Mcintyre died in 1937 as Mrs. Jackson.
Aramac Court conducts first business on 9th March, when John Rule, J.P. granted William Marley a Hawkers License.

1874   Postal Services established Aramac 1st March.
Royal Hotel built.

1875   Survey of Aramac Township completed 23rd March by Frank Scarr, Licensed surveyor of Blackall. (The following names appear on the original Lithograph - George Porter of the Royal Hotel; William Mills - Butcher; Edward Schneider - Cordial Manufacturer; John Kingston - Aramac Hotel; John Farrell and Alfred Burt - Storekeepers; James Field - Private House; John Coleman - Blacksmith. There was also the Police quarters and Court House).
Aramac Township named on 1st January - originally known as Marathon.
License granted for Royal Hotel - owner George Porter.
Queensland National Bank opens branch in Aramac, Closed when the Bank crashed in the early nineties; re-opened in 1913; closed again 1967.

1876   First Medical Practitioner to  hang out shingle was Dr. Ben Poulton.

1377   Gray Rock boasts of having Hotel; license granted to Thomas Byrnes 10th July, '77.
Aramac pioneers racing in Central Hest, under the name of the Mitchell District Grassfed Racing Club. In this the King of Sports, Aramac has the distinction of racing for the most valuable cup in Australia, "The Foy Cup" presented by H.V. Foy of Auteuil Station, Aramac.

1878   First School built.
First slaughtering License granted to William Mills.

1879   Local government comes to Aramac with the Gazettal on 11th November, 1879 of "The Aramac Divisional Board".
The first Hospital opened; it was built at a cost of £720, exclusive of furniture.
Brick works established; proprietors Christian Petersen and Thomas Ganner.
Marathon Hotel built by Jack Kingston; license granted 16th December, 1879.
Central West Railway Line extends to Emerald 26th May.

1880   Inaugural Meeting  Aramac  Divisional  Board, 18th April, 1880, in Court House. (This Board forerunner to Aramac Shire Council)
Town boasts of Newspaper known as"Aramac Times", edited by William John Hodda.

1881   Central West Line opened to Bogantungan.

1882   Present Court House and Police Residence erected in Aramac.

1884   Henry Dyer granted Licence for the Hen and Chicken Hotel at Bullock Creek.
Central West Line opened to Alpha 22nd September.

1885   Central West Line opened to Jericho 2nd June,

1886   Central West Line opened to Barcaldine 7th November.

1891   First Arbor Day in Aramac with the planting of Moreton Bay Figs; medal struck.

1892   Central West Line opened to Longreach 15th February.

1896   Artesian Water reticulated in Aramac.

1898   Bank of New South Wales opens Aramac Branch.

1900   Longreach cedes from Aramac Shire.

1903   Ilfracombe cedes from Aramac Shire

1907   Tramway poll conducted.

1908   Present race course layed out.

1909   New Hospital built.

1913   Aramac Tramway opened on 2nd July. Cost of £1800 per mile; complete with track, engine, water gin, carriage, station and sidings the venture cost £74371.
First Shire Hall erected; purchased from Barcaldine for £500; reinstated at Aramac fully furnished and cost £1500. This building was sold in 1967 for £900.

1914   Last Mail Coach runs between Aramac and Barcaldine.
Telephone line from Rockhampton to Emerald connected.
Sanitary and garbage system inaugurated for Aramac township.
Cr. S.P. Fraser retired from Council after 29 years service.
Rateable land valuation in the Shire amounts to £519,066; General Rates of ¾d in the £1 struck.

1915   Shire of Jericho proclaimed.
B15 Type Engine purchased for Tramway; cost £2002.

1916   Marathon Bore Water Board elected.

1920   Miss Hallam forms Committee to raise funds for erection  War Memorial, Aramac.

1921   Gold Medals for service to Tramway presented to employees D. Roots, J.S. Williams, O. Affoo, J. Doherty and I. Neilson.
Robert Gibson Miller, Shire Clerk since 1901, presented with Local Government Clerk's Certificate.

1923   Death of Mr. S.P Fraser, Chairman of the Shire for 25 years.

1924   Cr. S.H. Fraser elected  Chairman; retired 1936; re-elected  1939-1942.
Council merchandises Road plant with purchase of Thornicroft lorry.
Tramway award grants Driver £6. 2. 6d. per week; Fireman £5. 5. 0d. per week.

1925   War Memorial erected Aramac - cost £700.

1926   First Petrol Bowser installed at Aramac at McEffer and Smart's Garage.
Landsborough Bridge built.
Mt. Cornish Station cut up for closer settlement.

1946   Aramac Fire Brigade Board gazetted.

1947   Aramac Memorial Park opened 18th October.

1948   Trans Australia Airlines inaugurates air service to Aramac, 6th October.

1951   Queensland Ambulance  Transport  Brigade service commenced in Aramac.

1952   Aramac Memorial Swimming Pool and Electricity supplied to  Aramac, 13th September.

1956   Nurses'  Quarters built at Aramac Hospital.

1958   Present Aerodrome opened.
Aramac Tramway converts from steam to Diesel powered locomotives.

1963   Opening of the new Fire Station, Aramac.

1964   First Secondary School established (in old Shire Hall).

1965   First Secondary School Building opened.
Royal Hotel demolished.
Muttaburra Sewerage installed.
The S.S. ARAMAC the 13,600 ton E. & A. passenger Liner on maiden voyage between Australia and the Far East.
Bowling Green opened.

1966   New Shire Hall officially opened by State Treasurer, Hon. G.W. Chalk.
Aramac Sewerage installed.

1967   National Bank of Australasia Limited closes.

1968   Marathon Hotel burnt down.
Second Diesel Locomotive (18 ton) for Aramac Tramway arrives.
First 5-Mile of the Aramac-Barcaldine road bitumen sealed.
Night lighting on Aramac Bowling Green installed.

Background > Articles:

Comments

• dan dickson5 years ago

I am 5th generation of the Dickson clan, John Dickson who help settlement in Aramac arriving 1872. There is a plaque outside the park in Gordon St acknowledging John Dickson pioneers days

• Linden5 years ago

Thanks for the comment Dan. Great to hear from a descendant of "the wildest man to ever set foot in Aramac"! Cheers, Linden

• dan dickson5 years ago

Thanks Linden,

Are you related or the author, anyway thanks again for your response

Dan

• Linden4 years ago

Dan, I'm the author - started putting it together after my father died in '93. I'm only able to work on the site spasmodically but hopefully I'll have more time in the not too distant future. Cheers, Linden

EDIT: Sorry, clarification required. I'm the "author" of the site, not the author of this page. The Aramac Shire Council gave me the documents.

• Heather Dickson4 years ago

Dan, do you know if your family was from Scotland originally? If yes what part of Scotland?
      happyheather7[at]hotmail[dot]com

• Vere2 months ago

The Dickson family came from Perthshire in Scotland and the great great grandfather was a laird but wouldn't return to Scotland to take over the estate. Landed in Melbourne and went to the goldfields where he became the Mayor. With all the fighting he loaded up the drays and his brothers etc left to find a better place. They camped on the Aramac creek and the rest is history.

• Sharon Drew (nee Hatfield)2 years ago

My Dad who was 90 years old in 2014, the year of his passing he talked about Taydie Dickson who helped take Mum & Dad from Fleetwood Station out western Qld near Aramac in his truck to get Mum to Rockhampton a week before she was due to have her second child. The roads were flooded & boggy and it was a hard call for Mr. Dickson to even volunteer to come all the way to Fleetwood Station, he was remembered well by my father in his story of that era. Taydie Dickson may have had a mail-run & I'm not sure how Taydie's name is spelt but that's how Dad pronounced his name in the tape recording of his oral history. Dad was working on Feetwood Station in approx.1949 or around 1950 with my grandparents also working there at the time. Fleetwood Station had a close association with Kingsborough Station run by the Rudds and who were long-time employers of my grandparents. I was wondering if your family may be related to this Mr Dickson.

Regards
      Sharon Drew
      Rockhampton Q 4700

• linden2 years ago

Thanks Sharon, great story. Dan didn't leave his email address so let's hope he checks back. Cheers, Linden

• Vere Storch (née Dickson)2 months ago

Reading this today and I'd like to let you know that yes my dad was Tadie. He had mail runs when I was a kid before we moved out to Coorabah not far from from Fleetwood. My Dad was the oldest of the second family of David Dickson (my grandfather) Dan,s grandfather Les Dickson was my Dad,s step brother as their mother passed away leaving five children. Grandad remarried and he and Nana had nine children of whom my Dad was the oldest. All in his family are deceased. Dan lives in Brisbane and is on Facebook . His Dad is still alive and in his late nineties. I vaguely remember the name Hatfield but as I was born in 1948 can't quite put it all together. I live in Blackwater now as nearly all my family have passed. My father was well known for helping people and would go out of his way to do so.

• Melinda Appleton nee Schofield11 months ago

Hi Dan, Sharon, Linden
      I know your post was 4 years ago but I am desperate to find connections to my father, Gordon (Sco) Schofield, shearers cook on many stations DOB 1947? Apparently his grandmother (Aboriginal Woman my great grannie) had a child to his grandfather, I am that child. I am in hope you may know further history of the area?

• linden11 months ago

Hi Melinda, you submitted the same comment to Dan, Sharon and me so I took the liberty of combining them into one. Hope that's okay. I can't help at the moment but I hope someone else can. Cheers, Linden

• Robyn Balfour4 years ago

John William Kingston & Matilda Maria Strutton are my great grandparents. My mother said her grandfather was killed in an accident, being squashed by his own bullock team against a cliff or fence in 1891 and I'm trying to find evidence to substantiate this tragedy, nothing so far.
    Even more importantly, I'd LOVE to have a photo of John & Matilda for my family tree. I came across one of the family pics from 1895 but, sadly, he was already gone and Matilda wasn't in it either. If anyone can help, I would be extremely grateful - Enable JavaScript to view protected content.

Heather - I have John Dickson b.1827 Tibbermore, Perthshire, Scotland, arriving Melbourne 1853. His youngest son David married CJ Kingston's dau Amy 1892.

• Anonymous4 years ago

My great, great grandmother was the sister of Jack Kingston and with her husband Frank Phillips came to Aramac in 1883 and took over the running of the Marathon hotel and Jack moved to the Aramac Hotel. Mrs Frank Phillips died in 1889 and Frank in 1890 leaving three children Annie, Francis and Frank. Francis later married a Kingston cousin, Frank left to work for Sidney Kidman and settled in Adelaide some 20yrs later and I have no idea what happened to Annie. Frances had 7 children and I believe decendants by the name of Winters are still in Aramac. I have a history of the Kingstons written by Jacks brother C.J.Kingston I am travelling to Aramac in late July early August to fill some gaps in my family history. regards John Phillips

• Robyn Balfour4 years ago

Just wanted to say thank you, Linden, for all this interesting history and also for enabling me to find another 3rd cousin! Regards, Robyn

• Linden4 years ago

My pleasure Robyn, glad it's helped.  Cheers, Linden

• Ron Porter4 years ago

George Porter of Aramac was my great great grandfather Thanks for the info

• Therese Jansan2 years ago

Ron. George Porter is my husbands great great grandfather also.... I have only just started on this search of the Porter family!!!

• linden4 years ago

Apologies to Veronica. The following submission was found during conversion to the new site. It was submitted 3 Apr 2014:

A very interesting history of Aramac where I was born. My father was the Anglican clergyman there till the late 1950 . I always tried to get in touch with Ron Porter as I knew his great grandfather when I lived in Sydney. Would you be able to contact him and he can contact me if he wishes.

• Rosalea Mackay4 years ago

A wonderful history of the Aramac area that I enjoyed reading. My great grandparents, James and Ellen Mitchell had had one of their children, Frederick, aged about 3, go missing while herding goats with his brother in the Boongavinna area (October 1899) I'm have been trying to find out a little more about this area but it seems that name is no longer used. Ellen was a housekeeper for the Dickson family on Annievale station and died in Aramac in 1931. P corresponded with a MR Joe Dickson in the late 80's who was the nephew of the station owner William Dickson. rosaleaj[at]bigpond[dot]com

• Gerard Ansell4 years ago

My great,great grandparents George and Eliza Phillips arrived in Brisbane in 1857 on board the Parsee with their seven children including two sons, Louis and Frank.

Louis married Agnes Isabella Lawson and became the licensee of the Aramac Hotel (was there in1893). The Aramac Hotel along with The Albion Hotel was lost in a disastrous fire on 1 December 1924. Reports of the day suggest the Aramac Hotel loss was six to seven thousand pound with an insurance cover of only 930 pound.

This must have been an enormous blow to Louis and his wife and Louis was dead within six months at the age of 73. His wife died in 1937 and both are buried together in Aramac Cemetery.

one of Louis and Agnes' four daughters, Delia Isabella, married Charles Williams and a son Mervyn Louis Williams born in Aramac went on to be a Queensland boxing champion. He eventually located to Melbourne where he became well known as "Mr Boxing" in the press and on radio and TV.

• PETER HYLAND9 months ago

Louis PHILLIPS and Agnes Isabella LAWSON are my G Grandparents - their daughter Eliza Jane is my Grandmother.
      Such a fascinating history of Aramac. My grandfather (Bill HYLAND) named his house in Narrabeen (n'thn Sydney beaches) "ARAMAC" in the 1920s
      I've been trying to compile the LAWSON family tree connection for 50 yrs - no real luck yet.
      I have only been able to ascertain Agnes' birth on 15/4/1854 near Condobolin (NSW)
      Cheers
      Peter Hyland

• Gerard Ansell3 months ago

Hi Peter Hyland it appears we are third cousins.

My father's middle name was Louis and he pronounced it as "Louie" but I understand Louis Phillips was sounded as "Lewis". Any information you have on the man would be appreciated as my reading about him in newspaper archives suggests he was a larger than life character.

Cheers
        Gerard Ansell
        Coorparoo
        Brisbane

• Susanne2 months ago

Hi Gerald.....am researching Phillips family from Barcaldine....getting stuck at Frank Barney Phillips who married Florence Kate Summers. You state above that George and Eliza emigrated on the Parsee with 7 children including Frank.....however on checking shipping records of the Parsee in 1857 there is no record of Frank....can you provide any information to confirm that Frank was one of their children? Many thanks

• George Allan Roots4 years ago

Approx 1908-9 my grandfather Daniel Roots started with the Aramac Tramways with him 1909-10 he brought my father James William Roots & his brothers David & George, Dan was not living with his wife,A tent was his home mostly for his 40years working as a overseer (I have photo's) most of those years on the Aramac Tramway building & permanent overseer after the completion in 1913 until 1934, he received a silver medal honouring his dedication in 1921, my father James William. Ariving after the other 2 siblings worked as a carpenter he helped build houses, the former 2 story hotel, the St George Church of England & the new post office in 1914 he claimed to have inscribed his name in the roof rafters, he met my mother in Aramac she was working as a cook at the Hotel in 1915 he married her in 1916 in Rockhampton. David has his name on the 1914-18 centetaf war memorial in Aramac, George met my mother's sister & married her, the family have quite a few photo's of that era. They all spoke highly of the Town of Aramac & the people, all were very strong Unionist & Orangemen.On my Aramac 2000 visit found the local Sergant Roots of police was related.

• paula9 months ago

Hello
      I was interested when reading your family history and would love to know more about your family regarding the Tramway as I am the vice president of the Aramac Tramway and Historical Assn and we would love to know more about the people who worked for the Tramway all those years ago. You also mentioned the Post Office. If you had any old photos of the post office we would also love to see them as the current owners are also interested in the history.
      I did mention to them about the inscription in the rafters but they had not seen it. I am sure they will have a look now :)
      Look forward to hearing from you.
      Paula Coulton
      Aramac Tramway

• Gary Dickson8 months ago

Hi Paula, my name is Gary Dickson.I was born in Barcaldine in 1948 and in 1953/4 moved to Aramac when my father Maurice Donald (Digger) Dickson took the position of guard on the Aramac Tramway. He worked there till about 1962/3. We lived in the house opposite the bottom gate to the memorial park. I remember when the old steam train was there. Going down to the railway yards very early in the morning with dad for a trip to Barcaldine. Jonesy and his fireman were firing up the engine and i remember having bacon and eggs cooked on a shovel in the boiler fire. One of the firemen was a young bloke named Bobby Jacobsen. I think he came from Rockhampton. (if my memory is good). He was a boxer and Digger took the opportunity to have me taught to box. I remember when the RR MAC arrived. There was a school competition to name the new loco and I think it was Beverley Hallam who won the competition. Of course everyone called it Paw Paw. Did you know they had a motorised pumper that was used by the maintenance crews and used for the mail run mostly in the wet weather. On one occasion Digger was was coming back with the clinic sister from Barcaldine an the pumper derailed. It finished up on its side with Digger lying almost under it with a stick in his leg. I believe the clinic sister was thrown clear and not badly hurt. I remember when the drovers used to come with mobs of sheep and cattle that were loaded down at the stock yards. Sometimes 2 loads (trips to Barcaldine) were required to shift them. My grandparents and uncle owned the old Dickson & Ferguson store opposite the picture show. My uncle Jack Mitchell was the local Shell petrol agent. I dont know how much history you have or what additional information you may be looking for. I found your site purely by accident. The last time I was in Aramac was back in 2006 for a half day visit. If you have any specific questions I can possibly help you with please let me know.

• Errol O'Farrell4 years ago

Hello
    Thank you for the wonderful and date eventful history. My partner's grandfather is the Henry Edward Farrell born 1875 to John Farrell and Sarah McAnanley (both born Tyrone Ireland) in your story. Their correct name was O'Farrell but always known as Farrell . I wondered if there was a record of when sold the Albion Hotel as I believe the family moved to Winton after that. Do you have this date:- 1879 James Thompson Tilbury, Alfred Thompson, George Porter and John Farrell were appointed to be trustees of the Reserve for a Dam at Aramac, proclaimed 9.07.1879. A.E.Kennedy Governor. Regards Ellen Lyne

• Linden4 years ago

Hi Ellen. Wish I could help. Perhaps you could try Aramac Shire Council? It's now part of Barcaldine Regional Council (admin_office [at] barcaldinerc.qld.gov.au). Phone number for the Aramac Admin Office is 07 4652 9999.
      Cheers, Linden

• Sam Smith3 years ago

Hello, My Uncle was Town Mayor of Aramac for many years, His Name was Basil Smith. Please Contact me I have something very interesting that once belonged to your father.

• Anonymous3 years ago

I'm a Glover and I do know that I am related to the Glover and Storch families. Are there any existing in Aramac from either of these families?

• Sonny Thompson2 years ago

My great grandfather Jack Rolfe was on Annievale Station and his wife was Lizzie Rolfe, my grandmother was Annie Rolfe, shd wax taken away as a 9 year okd girl to Deebing Creek mission. Hsve you got any information on those names?

• Linden2 years ago

Sorry Sonny, I don't at this stage. Maybe someone else reading this will be able to help. Cheers, Linden

• Rosalea Mackay3 weeks ago

Hi Sonny .. My great grand mother Ellen Mitchell worked as housekeeper on Annievale Station in the early 1900's .. possibly until at least 1919. I know little of her life there but I do have a photo of what I believe is Annievale taken during this period. Joe Dickson, who I corresponded with in the late 1980's sent it to me (he was he nephew of William Dickson of Annievale Station) I would be happy to email it to you if it is of interest. In the photo are 2 women (one is Ellen) 6 men and 3 children (1 Aboriginal) Enable JavaScript to view protected content.

• Heidi Jai Goodwin2 years ago

Hi, this has been a great read. My Great, Great, Great Grandfather is C J Kingston. My family doesn't know much about our Kingston Family only from a book that was written by a cousin call Len which we only set eyes on only a few years ago. My Great Grandmother is Alice Clara Kingston whose father C W Kingston moved the family to Emerald where she met my Great Grandfather William Munro. (Munro was one of the first families in Emerald) Would love to know more or if anyone has photos that they can share.

Heidi Jai

• Rachel Loosemore2 years ago

My great-great-grandfather is the James Tolson mentioned on this page. Thank you for sharing this information about Aramac.

• Linden Pirie2 years ago

Im a descendent of the Kingstons. Claude Kingston was my grandfather. This was a fascinating history of Aramac. Im just wondering how two Lindens came out of such a little town?
    Linden.

• Linden2 years ago

Hi Linden,  Are you male or female? I was told my parents were in the Blue Mountains, drove through a town called Linden and liked the name.

• Anonymous2 years ago

I'm trying to find relatives called Carole & Barry Cochrane. I believe they have twin daughters & a son who would be in their 40s. Barry used to work on
    longreach & I think Carole worked at the post office. I believe Carole & Barry retired to Brisbane. i would love to connect with their children/my cousins .Anyone know them?

• Jenny2 years ago

I saw Barry earlier this year at a funeral. Call 0427580967 and I can put you in contact with his cousins

• Linden2 years ago

The following was submitted by Michael Wiseman:

I am trying to trace my grandfather Percy Melville Wiseman who disappeared from the Scone N.S.W. area in 1918 and is rumoured to have drowned in a dam at Aramac about 1930s or 40s. He probably changed his name as he was wanted for family desertion. Can you shed any light on this situation. Most Grateful if you could. My older sister has told me she can recall my parents talking about Percy being drowned after he fell off his horse because of am epileptic fit. His brother who lived at Dalby was asked to go and identify the body. Whether this helps or confuses I don't know. I would be most appreciative of any help you could give in contacting other sources. My sister believes his death occurred in the late forties.

• Martin2 years ago

I am trying to find information on S Donner can you shed any light on him.

• linden2 years ago

Hi Martin,
      I don't know how much you already know, but from what I can gather from NLA he died 1909 (aneurism). He was a well-known and popular figure in Qld. He was from "good English stock" (a brother was a baronet) and brought considerable capital to Qld, which he lost in pastoral pursuits in the Gulf. He managed 'Carandotta' and then became a commission agent, sharebroker at Cloncurry.
      Hope this helps.
      Cheers, Linden

• Selwyn R (Bob) Pratt2 years ago

G'Day Linden, my Maternal Grandfather Edward (Ted) Lynch was born on 03/07/1886 at Monk's Creek near Alpha, his father Patrick Lynch, from Castleisland, County Kerry, Ireland, worked on the railway line in the late 80's & finally settled in Barcaldine. My Aunty, Annie Elizabeth Lynch married Cecil Lawrence (mechanic) were married in Longreach on 02/02/1926 & lived in Aramac Patrick's brother Michael Lynch married Margaret Moriarty & settled in Ararmac. Jim & Maggie (Lynch) Langdon "Adelong" Muttaburra 1902 -1990 buried in Aramac. Doris Lynch was a telephonist at the Aramac PMG exchange, left 18/01/1935 (Tvlle Daily Bulletin 21/01/1935, page 7). A town of PIONEERS!

• linden2 years ago

Hi Bob,
      Good to hear of another family that has a long association with the area. Aramac certainly was a town of pioneers.
      Cheers, Linden

• Geoffrey James Lawrence8 months ago

Hi Selwyn Your mother was my aunt Jessie who was my mother's sister. She was Annie Lawrence (Lynch). I came across your post while looking for info about my uncle Fred Lawrence's station (Cheryl I think). It may still be in the Lawrence family. Perhaps others may know of my grandfather Fredrick Lawrence (born in Bath Eng. emigrated to Brisbane 1884) who had a long history in Aramac. I kweg your half sister Pamela and may have met you in Winton around 1941. Cheers Geoff L.

• selwyn robin pratt8 months ago

G'Day Cousin Geoffrey, I hope you & your family are well. I have fond & happy memories, when I stayed with you at Brighton. Uncle Cecil did take me to the "flicks", where he worked as the projectionist & to see Norths play footy at the Nundah Oval. I remember you building a TV receiver in aunt Nancy's laundry? I think Judy's Stephen was doing the Lawrence family? I've done the Lynch's tree.
        A couple of months ago, I enjoyed a morning tea with your sister Jenny & two other lost cousins. When I get your email address, I'll send you a photo. I just found out that Brian has gone into an age care home. When I was in the railway, I was Brian's fireman on a few occasions, many years back. I would love to hear from you. Kindest regards, Rob Pratt Enable JavaScript to view protected content.

• carmel rowell1 year ago

My great grandfathers brother William Alexander was unmarried and employed as a shearer. He passed away at Politic Paddock on 17th August 1912 and the inquest appears to indicate suicide. William was born in 1854 and when his mother died after arriving in Moreton Bay he was admitted to the Diamantina Orphanage in Brisbane. He was discharged to work for a Mrs Ferguson in South Brisbane but the date is unknown. Nothing more is know about him except that Louis Phillips, Licensee of the Aramac Hotel says he knew William for 30 years, so apparently he worked in the district for that time. Any information would be greatly appreciated
    Carmel

• brenda bennett1 year ago

I was born at Barcaldine, my parents Ray and Barbara Talbot owned Barcoorah station north of Aramac 1964-1980. My sister Karon rests in the Aramac cemetery..... I am researching this chapter of our lives, if anyone has any information I would greatly appreciate.
    Brenda

• linden1 year ago

Hi Brenda, the name Talbot certainly rings a bell, though I'm not sure why. I'll do a bit of digging but in the meantime I hope someone else is able to help.
      Cheers, Linden

• Vere Storch (née Dickson)2 months ago

Hello Brenda,
      Your parents Barb and Ray lived on the property next to my home Coorabah, and they used to visit Our place nearly every Sunday or would say them through the week My brother Michael was there with your dad on the day that Karen who walked in your father's footsteps everywhere was accidentally burnt very badly Your father always blames him self for the accident and never ever got over the death of his special little daughter It broke his heart and the spirit and it wasn't long after that he sold up and returned to Broken Hill My family lost contact with him and your mum but we always remembered special days spent together playing tennis and and having lunch most Sundays .
      After I got married in 1969 and moved to Mount Isa I did not see much of your parents again my brother remained on Coorabah. after my parents passed away had a lot to do with him till he left to return to Broken Hill We lost my brother in 2002 at the age of 58 and now there is only my sister who is 75 and myself left in the family Maybe you may remember Donna as you were only little and it is a long time ago My email is Enable JavaScript to view protected content.. Your aunt Maxine came up to live at Barcoorah for some time.

• Gary1 year ago

The old Gray Rock hotel is now a private residence in town

• linden1 year ago

Thanks Gary, good to know. Cheers, Linden

• David Pope1 year ago

I am trying to find any information regarding my fathers family and/or his life in Aramac.
    He was born Blair Athol 1904, family lived in Aramac, dad left his home approx, 1912. He had 7 brothers/sisters. Worked on cattle stations in the area, married at Clermont 1928. The family are unaware of our fathers life between those years.
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

• David Pope1 year ago

It was remiss of me not to include my fathers name in my previous comment.
    My fathers name was William, son of Frederick and Wilhelmina.
    He left home approx. 1916 when 12 years of age. From "others" comments dad was an excellent horseman in the region working on cattle stations.
    Any provision of knowledge of our fathers activities from the Aramac region would be most greatly appreciated, thank you

• linden1 year ago

Hi David, Did William have a middle name? Who did he marry in Clermont? Cheers, Linden

• David Pope1 year ago

Hi Linden and thank you for your reply.
        Dad didn't have a middle name.
        He married our mother Jane (known as Jean) Hume Somerville 15.09.1928.
        A little more to dads story, is that he and a sister were to be fostered out due to our grandmother leaving our grandfather with 8 children and dad ran away at 12 years of age.
        The surviving children (6 of us) of William and Jane have no knowledge of where or what dad did between 1904 (born) and 1916 (leaving home) and 1916-1928. Being people of that era, they didn't share too much with us.
        I was hoping there may be some archival information somewhere perhaps of employ or news of that time.
        All we are aware of is dad gained a reputation as an excellent horseman and a boxing champion.
        I am planning a road trip next year to visit Aramac and other areas.
        Mum and dad were transferred to WA in approx. 1936 as dad was a gold miner by then.

thank you again Linden, we hope something comes out of the information provided.

• linden1 year ago

Hi David, thanks for the extra detail; hopefully it'll be read by an Aramac local who'll be able to assist. Have you tried the newspaper archives at NLA (http://trove.nla.gov.au)? They'll certainly give you background information related to the period. Cheers, Linden

• David Pope1 year ago

Thank you for your help Linden, I haven't tried that site but will now.
            cheers

• Desley10 months ago

Hi
    I am trying to track down family , of course, my great grandparents were Jim and Emily Dickson from the Aramac area Indigenous family and I was wondering if anyone knew of this family.

• Christine11 months ago

Hi, I read History of Aramac, QLD page 3. Wondering if anyone has info on how John Dickson (butcher) got reputation of being ""the wildest man to ever set foot in Aramac?" I think he is my ggg-grandfather.

• Cam SMYTH6 months ago

I worked with Paul Dickson at Fairbairn Dam Emerald in the early 1970s. He was a fitter/mechanic with the then Irrigation and Water Supply Commission. He used to drive to Aramac for weekends on a regular basis. Haven't seen him for years

• Pauline palmer (hopes)4 months ago

Hi Linden. Are you Linden (dredge)? My dad worked on the railway as ganger for a few years from around 1961 for a couple of years then on the council. Loved reading this. Dad was Kevin Hopes.

• linden4 months ago

Hi Pauline, glad you enjoyed it! Cheers, Linden

• Tony mitchell4 weeks ago

My father & his brother Lou & George mitchell had a fransport business in aramac for 30 years sold out in 1959 & brought glentor downs hughenden

• Karen Courtney4 weeks ago

Hi Linden, I've really enjoyed reading about Aramac, the town where my mother was born and her family lived for a while. I'm looking for help from anyone with information on the Lynch family who may have adopted and raised my grandmother as their own. Her name was Agnes Patricia Lynch before she married my grandfather, George Brown and they lived in Aramac. I know nothing of her parents and little of her adopted family. She had a sister Eileen, who married Roy Winters and two other sisters, known only to my mother as Connie and Mary. Thank you

• Linden3 weeks ago

Hi Karen, Glad you enjoyed it and best of luck in your search.
      Cheers, Linden